Thermal 2-Seal Tie
|Brand||Hohman and Barnard|
|Anchor Type||Barrel Screw|
The THERMAL 2-SEAL™ TIE is an innovative single screw veneer tie for metal stud construction
- Fabricated from stainless steel and COATED with a proprietary material tested in accordance to UL94 (The Standard for Flammability of Plastic Materials) and is designed to decrease thermal transfer through rigid insulation.
- The THERMAL 2-SEAL™ TIE has a dual-diameter barrel with factory-installed Stainless Steel bonded EPDM washers to seal both the face of the insulation and the air/vapor barrier.
- The large 1-1/2” diameter washer seals insulation and helps secure the insulation to backup, reducing or eliminating penetrations caused by insulation fasteners.
- This is an improvement over similar anchors that only seal at the insulation and render the vapor barrier susceptible to air and moisture infiltration if not precisely installed (perfectly perpendicular to the stud).
- #12 screw integrated into the dual-diameter barrel
- Barrel portion available in 5/8", 1", 1-1/2" 2", 2-1/2" 3", 3-1/2", 4", 4-1/2", 5", 5-1/2", 6", and 6-1/2" lengths to accommodate thickness of insulation and/or wallboard.
- Type 304 Stainless Steel Barrel with a Polymer Coated Screw
- H&B's Stainless Steel barrels have one-third the thermal conductivity of carbon steel barrels and one-seventh the thermal conductivity of the zinc barrels of our competitors products (refer to chart below)
Metal TypeThermal Conductivity
(W/cm K)Stainless Steel (Type 304)0.15AISI-SAE 1020 (Plain Carbon Steel)0.52Zinc (Commercial)1.1References:
- ASM Metals Reference Book, Second Edition, American Society for Metals, Metals Park, OH, 1983.
- Lynch, C. T., CRC Practical Handbook of Materials Science, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1989.
- Shackelford, J. F., and Alexander, W., CRC Materials Science and Engineering Handbook, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 1991.
- Thermal 2-Seal™ Chuck Adapter required for installation.
- The projecting eyelet accepts a 3/16" x 3", 4" or 5" long 2-Seal Byna-Lok Wire Tie (see below) for the masonry veneer wall mortar joint. The 2-Seal Byna-Lok Wire Tie is adaptable for seismic zones with the simple addition of 9 gauge or 3/16" continuous wire (just drop into the integral track formed by the swaged, overlapping legs of the wire tie.)
- U.S. Patent No. 8,037,653 & 9,140,001
- Canadian Patent No. 2,690,819
Metal Stud Backup
Stainless Steel - Type 304
Seals Insulation & Air Barrier
Secures Insulation to Backup
Creates Thermal Break
Based on manufacturer assigned sales territories, product availability may vary by location.